Quilled Torso, Jewelry, Shoe, and Handbag - Licia Politis

Remember Licia Politis's incredible quilled chess set? She's done it again... this time designing a fantastical fashion statement. Licia's retro theme grabs attention because of its unexpected appeal, plus her excellent workmanship makes it hard to believe the piece is composed of rolled paper!quilled mannequin
What inspired you to create
If the Shoe Fits, Wear It?
I envisioned a contemporary art piece of repetitive patterns and colours in which the patterns were tessellated... for example, the flowers in the bodice of the torso, the checkerboard patterning of the handbag, as well as the base of the piece. I was inspired by Japanese artist, Yayoi Kusama, who works with a myriad of patterns, circles, and dots. I also wanted a practical piece, showing the aesthetic appeal of paper.
What was the most difficult part?
I found the colour scheme and patterns were the hardest to coordinate. I wanted all of the pieces... the torso, necklace, brooch, ring, earrings, stiletto shoe, and handbag to each be different, yet tied together, by the black, pink, and ivory colours.Tell us about the competitions into which you've entered If the Shoe Fits, Wear It.
I submitted the piece to the 2009 Sydney [Australia] Royal Easter Show. It was awarded 1st place in the "Any Other Quilled Item" category and was selected to go into the Showcase of Excellence during the two week run of the show.

I also sent it to the English Quilling Guild's annual competition which was held in Kent on 19th September 2009. The piece was awarded a 1st prize in the Master's Category.How much time did you spend on construction?
The whole piece took two months of all my spare time to complete. The base has a total of 1,120 one inch tight roll cylinders in the black checkerboard pattern... this part took eight hours just to roll. The torso is about 10 inches in height and the base that supports it is 10 inches x 14 inches. The tiny shoe is actually a ring holder, and the handbag, which opens, is the brooch holder. Funny story... I made an 11th hour decision while on the way to Sydney to deliver the piece. Believe it or not, I stopped at a McDonald's to add the soft pink dots outlined in gold to the centres of each of the ivory crimped beads on the ring, earrings, and brooch. I think it was an improvement, as all the rest of the piece had pink on it somewhere. Occasionally last minute changes really do wind up for the best!torso in progress
I'm already looking forward to your next project... any ideas as to where your talent will take you next?
I have so many things I would love to quill. It's just a matter of finding the time... an installation, more paper beads, as well as continuing to develop the vortex coil.Be on the lookout for a post in the near future [here it is: quilling Q and A] in which Licia answers my questions about the actual construction of the piece, including the nifty ivory and black edging technique.
Ann Martin
Ann Martin

This is a short biography of the post author and you can replace it with your own biography.

Comments

  1. My God!!! This is absolutely wonderful!!! What a talent!!! I love all them, specially the shoes and bag.
    Thank you Ann for giving us the opportunity to see such artistic pieces.

    Have a wonderful week!!
    Love and hugs

    Regina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your work is unbelieble... I loved! You have a wonderful talent.
    Regards, Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW WOW WOW,
    this is amazing!!! and stunning!!
    Vivi

    ReplyDelete
  4. my that is beautiful fashion great job
    miriam:)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! This has to be the coolest idea I've ever seen - thank you so much for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It never ceases to amaze me what little strips of paper can become in the hands of an artist!! Wow!
    Thanks for showing us this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never imagine that you can take quilling this far! Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing us this wonderful creation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! it is a great artist, are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ann,
    Thanks for showcasing Licia's remarkable talent for creating yet another epiphany with paper! I loved seeing all the close-ups.

    Your blog continues to inspire and delight!

    ReplyDelete
  10. MY NAME IS PATRICIA, I'M FROM BRAZIL AND YOUR WORK IS WONDERFUL, CONGRATULATIONS FOR YOUR TALENT ....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hallo Ann
    BEAUTIFUL!!!
    Groetjes Baukje

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't know Licia was so talented. She is a wonderful person and a very handy poker player as well

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow! amazing!

    Pozdrawiamy
    sztukaskladania.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I try to respond to questions within 24 hours, so please check back.